Monday 16 March 2009

To Hull by Sea

Thomas's sisters went home to Retford on the 17th August 1743

20th August
Paid Carriage of my Box to Retford 3/-

24th August
Paid Mr Woring in half Moon Court Cheap Side for a Grizel Wigg and gave me a Receipt. £1



I'm not sure that I have the name of the wigmaker correct - the writing is not clear - the wig is a grey one. Then Thomas does a lot more shopping which is all pretty routine, followed by this journey...

3rd September
Gave a man 2/3 to Take my Trunk on Board a Ship going to Hull & Spent this Day before I went on Board in punch, Bear & Fish 5/- (Thomas means beer)
Paid Lodgings & Washing in full 3/2
Sett forwards thisEvening and got to Hull the 9 September at 2 oClock in the afternoon and paid the Capt. for our passidge my Self & a Dutch Dog and my Trunk £1.1s
we was in a storme for 4 Days and was Drove near Hambourge I was sick for 3 Days and Could not Eat or Drink all that time.

(Poor Thomas! and what about the Dog? He doesn't mention buying it)

Left Hull & got to Barton the 12 September
Spent at Hull 6s

That must be Barton-upon-Humber. It's the other side of the Humber Estuary, but there is no mention of paying a Ferryman.

No comments:

Post a Comment