Tuesday 6 January 2009

A Book with No Title

My husband's uncle left him all his books. We had just moved house when the executor asked us to collect them and we really didn't have room for them. On the off-chance, however, I scanned the shelves for anything of interest.

I noticed a green book with nothing on the spine. Most books have a title on the spine, don't they?

I pulled out a treasure! It is mostly an account book (how dull!) but the interesting thing is the date. The book was written by one Thomas Tye. Thomas was born about 1712. He was in business, mostly in the City of London and he recorded all expenditure with great care. He also recorded tit bits of news and information. Some of this is fascinating. I will transcribe selected entries here.

Free Web Counter

Free Counter

1 comment:

  1. What a fascinating find. I look forward to reading the blog postings.

    ReplyDelete